Image Map

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Base Layers - Clarins EverMatte Foundation Review



I've fallen out of love with foundations in the last few years. Since the advent of BB and CC creams, I have tended to use those in place of a regular foundation. In spite of my being prone to the occasional breakout, I am not a fan of major coverage preferring to enhance and allow my skin to show through rather than cover it. I have also struggled to find the right shade and often, even when I think I have a match I have found it has oxidised and turned a bit orangey over the course of a few hours. This is especially common with us oily types.

But with my skin being so out of kilter lately, I have felt the need to cover up a little more. So, after
investing in a primer (Nars Pro Prime Oil Free) to help with the oil slick effect I started a bit of Google research to find the best foundation for oily skin. Lisa Eldridge's brilliant website had a section on just this, so after testing one or two in store and discarding them ( No.7 Beautifully Matte and Revlon Colorstay - too heavy for me) I settled on the more light to medium coverage Clarins EverMatte Skin Balancing Foundation SPF15.

After a bit of a false start with the colour matching (I was originally recommended 105 Nude - too chalky; and 107 Beige - too pink toned) I found my perfect shade  - 108 Sand.


This is a great match for my skintone - seamlessly bridging the gap between my pale neck and more golden-toned face. I would say the colour remains pretty true as the day goes on with no oxidation oranginess. It has a light cream texture and blends really easily leaving a smooth finish. Applying EverMatte in thin layers you can build up the coverage where needed without it becoming heavy. I have to say, that I think the word 'matte' in the name is slightly misleading. I wouldn't describe the finish as 'matte'. Whilst the formula does control oily shine, the finish on the skin is still slightly dewy which is lovely. Your skin looks like skin, not like a powdery mask and that is very much what I want from a foundation.


As I said, the coverage is light to medium, so if you have some heavy duty camouflage to undertake then this may not be for you. In the photos I have shown how it looks over primer but with no concealer or powder on top and you can see where my blemishes (yes, there are many this week - Saturday was a bit boozy, which is a major spot trigger for me) are not amply disguised. But I really like this foundation. I would rather have a radiant looking base and add extra coverage with a little more concealer and powder where needed. This lightly enhances the skin, smoothing over pores and disguising light discolouration and stays shine free for a good 5 hours or so. 



My verdict: this is a great daytime foundation for those with oily/ combination skin who want a natural finish. It is available from the usual suspects (department stores, Boots, larger pharmacies) and retails for £27. It is also currently available on Escentual's website for the special price of £23.75.

(Note the lovely blusher in these pics - Stila Convertible Color in Rose. There's a review in the pipeline).

No comments:

Post a Comment