Image Map

Tuesday 11 March 2014

The Wren Cooks Key Lime Pie


In my last post, I wrote of how my Mum was the inspiration for this blog. She named her much longed for home in France Nyth Y Dryw which is Welsh for The Wren's Nest. Not long after she died, my Dad gave me her Nyth Y Dryw note book in which she had jotted down some of her favourite recipes. It is such a precious gift - full of her scribblings and sketches. On Sunday, in between sobbing sessions I thumbed through it and decided to knock up one of our family's favourites. In tribute number two to Mum, I give you Wendy's Key Lime Pie.


Wendy's Key Lime Pie

375g digestive biscuits (crushed or blitzed in food processor)
150g unsalted butter
Grated zest & juice of 8 large limes
570mls double cream
1 x 397g can condensed milk

-Melt butter in a small pan and stir in the crushed biscuits. Loosely press into the base of a 23cm springform or loose-bottomed flan tin. Chill.

- Place lime juice, cream and condensed milk into a large bowl or freestanding mixture and whisk for 1-2 minutes. Stir In the lime zest. Pour into prepared base and chill for 1-2 hours.

-Decorate with more lime zest or grated chocolate.


This pudding has made an appearance at every large family party I can remember. It is just about the easiest thing in the world to make, but I have never seen it eaten without hearing the accompanying gasps and moans of extreme pleasure. It is so so good - sweet and sharp and smooth and just plain delicious. Thanks Wend xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment